In autumn 1944, prisoners were taken to the camp right from the front which was just a few hundred kilo- metres away from Brest, near Warsaw.
About 5 000 prisoners were kept in all branches of the Brest camp No. 284. It was a significant workforce for a depopulated city. Every morning, columns of prisoners went out of the camp gate to work at the sites agreed through orders of the City Executive Committee. At first, they dismounted destroyed houses, carried out different loading-unloading works near railway tracks and high- ways. Later, they were used at the construction works, which eventually became their main task. Money earned by prisoners was transferred to the camp cash desk.