“Polish Times”

In the First World War, during the retreat of the Russian army in 1915, Brest was burned by order of the commanders. 75% of the housing stock was destroyed. After the war, Brest became the territory of the Polish Republic. The Poles developed a plan for the reconstruction of the city. They rebuilt many streets. Beautiful pavements, sidewalks and lawns were made. The Union Lubelskaya Street, under Soviet rule named September 17th Street, was paved with a trilinka (a road pavement in the form of hexagonal tiles). The dirtiest street on which there were no lawns and trees was the currently named Cosmonaut Boulevard. The Poles called it Sobieski Street. According to the plan for the reconstruction of the city, this street was to become the main one. Therefore, it was named after one of the most famous kings of Poland, Jan Sobieski. The street had neither sidewalks, nor a pavement and was essentially impassable. It began from a swamp. Water flowed from the swamp into a ditch. The ditch stretched in the middle of the street from the beginning to the very end, that is, from the swamp to the Mukhavets River. The ditch pipe still remains there. And now the Gazoapparat plant is in place of the swamp.